Thursday, January 27, 2011

X-23 v3 Issue 5 - Review

I went midly spoiler free here. So if you wanted to know how Sinister is connected to Laura, you're just going to have to buy the issue yourself.


This is it, the issue that finally reveals what many, and I do mean MANY have been worried about. Just what does Mr. Sinister have to do with Dr. Sarah Kinney and the Facility?

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by this issue. It's setting up the arcs to come with Daken, and maintaining some decent continuity while addressing even more interesting points about child abuse and the depravity of Sinister's actions during his lifetime. Overall, pretty interesting. Nowhere near as bad as many articles would have led you to believe it would be. In fact, it feels perfectly in tune with something Sinister would have done, and doesn't hinder the already told origins of Laura Kinney. It does raise some questions, but they seem like questions that'll be answered in the upcoming issue, as well as the upcoming Daken crossover. The art is continually fantastic in this, contrasting light and dark rather well, and even conveying a softer appearance when dealing with the children. The usage of Gambit feels perfect and in continuity here, expressing his disdain for Sinister and why. The only thing to be forewarned about, is that this is yet another issue with one of those darn cliffhangers... Yet again, it's one of those cliffhangers that makes you go 'dammit, now I have to wait until the next issue.'

5 Claws out of 6



Borderline perfection, with only a few questionable spots. Spots that seem planned intentionally that way. Short of perfection only because of the cliffhanger... Yes, that's me being pissy about how it ended and having to wait a month to read the next.

*Update* There was the notion of 'these' clones retaining memories from each other. While that bugged me in such things like Smallville since it goes against the very foundation of the science itself, here I can let it slide as it makes sense for Sinister to have instilled that in the Alice series of clones to test it for personal usage. I just hope, nay I pray this doesn't lead to Laura all of a sudden getting Logan's memories. For now, it's acceptable within the confines of how Sinister was used.

2 comments:

  1. I think X-23's possibly the best "under the radar" series right now. It's been so consistent (but I don't need to tell you that, right?) and I thought this one was pretty solid as well. I've been liking Gambit's role a lot so far, mostly since he actually allows Laura to make her own decisions, but is still there to help.

    Btw, I just happened to stumble upon your blog today and I think you do a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and yeah this blog has had it's rough spots in the past, but I'm striving to continually improve it and learn from those mistakes.

    As for the comic, I'm loving it. One of my biggest grievances with comics is how predictable they are, and this comic never fails to surprise. Something I can greatly appreciate, as it never feels forced. It's just great writing that does it.

    ReplyDelete